The year is off to an exciting start! Greenbelt Land Trust’s Board of Directors held a board retreat in January to plan our 2016 activities, and I’m here to tell you, it’s going to be a great year. We have big things planned – protecting new places, improving our management of the places we already protect using new scientific resources, and a whole lot more. One of the most important things we talked about, though, is something that’s so basic that it’s easy to forget: why we support Greenbelt Land Trust with our time, money, and effort. We spent a few minutes at the end of the retreat talking about those reasons, and we want to share them with you! So, in the spirit of David Letterman, here are the Top Ten Reasons to Support Greenbelt Land Trust of Mid-Missouri!
- Because we work to protect Mid-Missouri’s vital biodiversity, conserving habitat for native species and helping to keep them off the Endangered Species List.
- Because we protect the incredible landscapes of our area for the enjoyment of future generations (like the Hinkson Creek Nature Preserve in the picture above).
- Because we enhance the quality of life in Columbia, Boone County, and Central Missouri by maintaining and improving its unique character.
- Because we are local in focus and connection – we live here, work here, and play here.
- Because we protect farmland and ensure that our children and grandchildren will be able to grow the food they need.
- Because you can get a tax deduction!
- Because we work with many partners and have access to the best expertise and knowledge. We can do more work, and do it better!
- Because we’re not big government! Nothing we do is mandatory, and we do more work with fewer resources.
- Because we’re engaging and empowering the community to take care of the land we all live on.
- Because we all need clean water.
These are just a few of our reasons, of course, and yours may be different! But we couldn’t do what we do without the generous support of the citizens of Mid-Missouri. If you’re already a supporter, then thank you! If you’re not, and would like to be, click the “Contribute” tab at the top of this page to see how you can help!